Notifications
Clear all

Upgrading to VPS from Shared Reseller  

RSS
wordpress
(@wordpress)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone,

I am back looking for advice/guidance again. Last year, I was on the hunt for a new reseller host (thread), and now I am on the hunt for a VPS provider. I ended up staying with SurpassHosting and paid $35/month for their r.SSD1 package and $10/month WHMCS license.

In the past year, I've picked up more clients and I've noticed a significant change in site load time ever since I switched to the new plan with SurpassHosting and they've tried addressing it for what it's worth but I think it's time to jump to a VPS. All the websites hosted on my resellers are either Wordpress or HTML websites so I would like to favor features/specs that make Wordpress more efficient. SurpassHosting provides VPS through their sister company HostDime which charges $134/month for the most basic VPS but that is a bit out of my budget considering the limited specs too. Based on my current spending of about $45/month (which has $10/month for a WHMCS license), I'd be willing to increase the budget to about $65-70/month all in if needed.

I've been looking at BlueHost, Siteground, A2Hosting and InMotion predominantly but I am open other suggestions. I've been looking through some of the providers that are active on this forum as well.

Bare Requirements:
- 50-60GB SSD space
- 5TB bandwidth
- 4GB RAM (Based on some research, I'm assuming 256-512MB per Wordpress site plus some wiggle room should suffice for now)
- Managed (I do not know much about server management but I know enough about IT/hosting to understand and learn it. Down the road I can consider going self-managed if it is not a big burden.)
- DDOS protection (this looks like a standard feature nowadays)
- cPanel/WHM
- Good support/Quality product
- US based

Questions:
1. During my research I've seen reseller VPS, cloud VPS, Wordpress VPS, and more. Is the technology or resources behind each of those different OR is it just based on how a host markets their product?
2. Are there any major differences I need to be aware of by jumping to a VPS? I know it won't be a shared environment per se and I will have dedicated resources.
3. Should I be adding other factors into my requirements?

Thank you!

Posted : 26/03/2020 12:29 am
Share: