Domain names help your clients locate your business online. It is a vital tool to get an online presence and have a successful business. Your domain name is your ticket to growing your business online. It is the first point of contact people have with your business. So, you have to make sure that it stands out.
Many people ask about domain name registration. The question is common especially when you are getting started with domain names and web site hosting. Registering the domain requires that you follow a step by step procedure. Here is how to go about it.
Decide on the domain name
The first thing is to decide on the domain name. This is an important part even if you decide to go with a free domain name. There are not many rules when it comes to choosing band on a in name. Here are four traits of a good domain name:
- Right domain extension: when registering the domain name make sure that it has the right domain extension as well. You can choose from .com, .net and .org. However, you should aim for the .com extension. Choosing the right extension will make a difference on the number of traffic coming to your site.
- Easy to memorize: the domain name should not be too long or complicated. You should always aim for a shorter name. Keep in mind that if it is hard to spell your domain name, then memorizing it will also be hard.
- Should be clear: your domain name should represent more about your business. If possible, make it a version of your business name.
- Should be legal to possess: you should do a research on your chosen domain name to ensure it has not be trademarked. You can do that by searching the terms first. Have a list of two to five names to choose from.
Check if the name is available
You have a list of preferred domain names, the next thing is to look for one that is available. That is, do a domain name check to see if it has not been registered by another person. Here is where a domain name checker name will come in handy. Once you type the domain name, you will see the ones that are available. Choose the most favorable one from the given list.
Choose a domain registrar
You now know that your chosen domain name is still available. It is time to take action. Look for a domain registrar and purchase it. The domain registrar will register the URL on your behalf. You will then get full access of the name. There are numerous domain registration companies and you need to make a choice on the suitable one to use. In case you are going for a local domain extension, such as .it, then it is advisable to buy from a local company in your country. .
Buy your domain name
The final step is buying the domain name. After this step, your domain name will be ready to use. You can do this by following very simple steps.
- Choose a domain name registrar: the first thing in buying the domain name is choosing the domain name registrar. Go to the domain registrar of your choice and type the desired domain name.
- Search for the available names: before you register th name, you should know that it is still available. The next thing you should do is to click on search. Review the domain names and choose the one that represents your business in the best way possible. Pick the name that fits within your budget. You will get several options to choose.
- Add it to cart: Once you have made the selection, the only thing remaining is to add it to cart. Click on review the cart button which will take you to a checkout page. Make sure that everything is okay before checking out. You can choose to register your domain name from one to ten years. The choice is up to you.
- Create an account: You may be required to create an account with the domain name server. This step will help complete the billing process. However, it may depend on the domain name registrar you have chosen. You will then become a registered user with the domain name registrar.
- Finalize payment: Once you have successfully created the account, you can now finalize the payment process. Most of the domain name registration companies provide you with numerous payment options. Some of the most popular options are credit cards and PayPal. PayPal is a convenient payment option. If you choose credit cards, you will have to provide all the required credit card details. Once you are ready, you should click on continue.
- Review payment summary: before you make the payment, you need to review your payment summary is the next step. In case you choose PayPal, you will be required to authorize the transaction.
That’s it. You will have successfully completed the domain name registration process. You can now begin to manage your domain name and the settings. However before that, you will be required to verify your email address. It is a requirement by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). All the accredited registrars have to follow this process to verify the new domain registrations. You are given 14 days from the time you register the domain name. You will receive an email from your domain registrar. It is also a way to know if you have used an accredited company. You only have to click on the confirmation link.
With those steps, you now have a registered domain name. You can go ahead and share it with other people. Make sure your site is appealing and will make your visitors want to stay longer. Getting the domain name generator is just a small part of the work. There is still a lot you have to do to get plenty of visitors. So, without wasting any time get started.