Are you ready to get started with web hosting? That is a step towards the right direction. Here are a few steps to get you started fast.
- Getting started
You may have a great website but when you do not host it, no one can see it. When you have a website, it will not be visible to anyone unless you host it. You will need a domain name to enable your visitors access your site. You will need a domain name which will make your site available on the internet. The hosting comes with features such as domain name, the hosting itself, and email addresses. The email address will company in handy when working with your clients.
- Choosing a website
There are two types of websites at your disposal.
- Simple or static sites: these sites allow you to build several web pages on your software. You will upload the pages to your hosts server using FTP software. Whenever you want to change something on your site, you will have to edit the pages and upload them. The website will not change automatically. You can get started with a free site builder.
- Dynamic sites: the dynamic sites are like forums, blogs and photo galleries. With these sites, you do not have to upload the HTML pages. Dynamic sites require you to install a web application on your web server. You can use the web application to edit content directly online. The software also makes it easy for visitors to leave comments if you allow them.
CMS software will be ideal for starting your site. There are plenty of choices like Joomla, WordPress, Gallery, Drupal and many more.
Feel like installing a web application is a complicated process? No need to be worried. Most of the web hosts will install the application that you have chosen. Best website hosting service has a tech support to help you through the whole process.
- Hosting technology
The third step is the dedicated wordpress hosting technology. When you are using HTML sites, you can host them in any server. However, when it comes to web applications, you have to know the technology used. There are two technologies to choose.
- Linux hosting: it is the most commonly used hosting system.
- Windows hosting: it is also known as ASP hosting. It is suitable when you want to run a web application with ASP.
If you have windows, then you will better if using the Linux hosting. Linux is cheaper and faster than windows hosting. You will also not have to deal with compatibility issues no matter the operating system you use.
- Web hosting levels
Now you have chosen a domain name, website type and hosting technology, what’s next? The next thing is hosting your website is to choose the hosting level. So what do you choose?that depends entirely on your budget. Here are some of the levels that you can choose from.
- Free hosting: free hosting is for individuals who do not have any money to get started with web hosting. It will cost you absolutely nothing. However, it can be very slow. It is suitable for the small private sites.
- Shared hosting: you can also go for the shared hosting. It is the most common hosting. Under shared hosting, there is a larger server that host several websites. However, each client has their own account. You may pay between $4 and $20 per month.
- Virtual private server (VPN): just like in shared hosting, the VPN hosts several sites. The only difference is that the sites have been strongly isolated. It may seem as if the sites are in different servers. It is a suitable choice for website owners with high security constraints. The VPN costs between $30 and $40 per month.
- Dedicated servers: the dedicated servers gives you complete control.you will have a server to yourself. However, the freedom come at a higher price. You will pay between $79 and $399 per month for the dedicated server.
- Cloud hosting: technology is made it possible to use cloud hosting. You will be sharing your server with other sites. The resources you get will vary depending on the traffic coming to your site. So, if the traffic reduces, then the resources will also reduce. When you are just getting started, cloud hosting may be a bit complex. It is ideal for large sites.
You can start with shared hosting and upgrade as your site grows. With shared hosting, you get professional web hosting at an affordable price.
- Choosing the hosting company
The last step is choosing the hosting company. Once you have decided on either Linux or windows and chosen a dedicated, VPN or shared hosting, it is time to choose the web hosting company. Nowadays, there are many companies making it hard to choose the best one. There are certain things you need to consider when looking for a hosting company. Here are some tips to help you get the best hosting company.
- Performance: one thing you need to look for is to performance. The last thing you want is to have a website that loads slowly. You can ask the company for the sites they have worked with to see how it performs.
- Uptime: when you have a site, it has to available 24×7, otherwise you will be losing visitors. You need to check for the hosting company’s uptime. Reviews will help you determine the uptime.
- Customer service: customer service is an important factor to choose. You can also make use of the reviews to help you determine the customer service. They should always be available to help when you encounter problems.
When it comes to web hosting, what you pay for is what you get. If you opt for cheaper hosting, you will have to compromise on certain things like speed, uptime and technical support. However, if you are just getting started, you can opt for the cheaper packages. There is the option to upgrade later depending on demands.
Now you are ready to get started hosting your site and increase your client base.